Subaru of America Inc. unveiled the 2023 Ascent 3-row family SUV today, which has new aesthetics, safety features, and revised infotainment. The Onyx Edition trim level is also new for 2023, with new external and interior highlights as well as a complete option package.
The 2023 Subaru Ascent will be available in the fall in Base, Premium, Onyx Edition, Limited, and Touring trim grades.
- The front and rear parts of the Ascent have been reworked to give it a more assertive appearance.
- EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology with Wide-Angle Mono Camera is the most major revision.
- Apple CarPlay® and Android AutoTM are included as standard.
- A new Surround View Camera is now available with a 360-degree overhead view.
- Standard SUBARU STARLINK® 11.6-inch Multimedia Plus system.
- Cabin Connect improves connectivity for passengers up to the third row.
- More regular features and a new feature package are included in the Onyx Edition.
ADAS technology updates:
- The newest iteration of EyeSight Driver Assist Technology comes standard on the 2023 Ascent.
- The improved system runs more smoothly and in a wider variety of situations. A broader field of view, new control software, and the inclusion of an electronic brake booster are all contributing to these gains.
- A Wide-Angle Mono Camera is also included as standard across the model line, which works in tandem with the dual-camera EyeSight system. When the car reaches an intersection at a low speed, the extra camera widens the field of vision even further, allowing it to spot people and cyclists sooner.
- EyeSight provides Automatic Emergency Steering on models with Blind-Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
- While driving at speeds of less than 50 mph, the new technology works in concert with the Pre-Collision Braking System to assist in steering the car to prevent a catastrophe.
- Cabin Connect enhances communication between the driver and front passenger and the third-row passengers. Cabin Connect is only available on trim levels with Harman Kardon® QuantumLogicTM surround sound speakers.
- An optional Surround View Monitor provides a 360-degree overhead view of the car for enhanced overall situational awareness while parking.
- A tablet-style 11.6-inch Full HD center information display is now standard on all 2023 Ascent models, with direct touch controls for multimedia, temperature control, X-MODE, and vehicle configuration options.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are included as standard.
- For increased evening vision, every Ascent has Steering Responsive LED headlights with High Beam Assist.
- Additionally, each seat has a Seat Belt Reminder to ensure that all occupants are strapped up.
Styling changes in the Exterior
- According to Subaru, the facelift for the 2023 Ascent includes a redesigned grille, new LED headlights with high-beam assist, and a modified front bumper cover with lower air ducts that optimize aerodynamic flow.
- The taillights on the Ascent have been reworked into a C shape.
- The 2023 Ascent comes standard with 18-inch alloy wheels, with 20-inch wheels available on the Onyx and higher trim levels.
Powertrain and Engine
- The Ascent is equipped with Subaru’s high-torque Lineartronic® CVT (continuously variable transmission), which has an 8-speed manual mode function and steering wheel paddles.
- 260-horsepower, 2.4-liter turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine with standard Trailer Stability Assist. This drivetrain can tow up to 5,000 pounds.
Interior and Performance
- The Ascent, which is based on the Subaru Global Platform, offers an unrivaled driving experience, as well as a roomy interior with pleasant and versatile seating options.
- With 8-person seats or optional captain’s chairs in the second row for 7-person seating, the Ascent is the most adaptable Subaru ever. When folded, two rows of 60/40 split flat-folding seats provide up to 75.6 cubic feet of cargo capacity.
- Subaru’s famous Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and X-MODE® with Hill Descent Control are standard on all Ascent trim levels for superb all-weather and trail-driving performance.
- On all trim levels, Active Torque Vectoring is also standard.
- The 3-row SUV’s 8.7-inch ground clearance, which is higher than typical SUVs, provides capability while keeping passenger ingress at a comfortable height.
The Onyx Edition raises the bar in terms of luxury and performance
- Distinctive black-finish exterior components, badging, and 20-inch black-finish aluminum alloy wheels are included with the Ascent Onyx Edition.
- Subaru StarTex® water-repellent material is wrapped around the seats, with new contrasting green stitching.
- A panoramic power moonroof with a tilt/slide glass panel over the front seats, a fixed glass panel over the middle row, and a power sunshade are standard on the Onyx Edition. This stunning glass top is standard on the Touring model and available on the Limited.
- The 2023 Ascent Onyx Edition, Limited, and Touring add standard dual-function X-MODE® with Hill Descent Control, which improves all-weather and trail capability.
- The SNOW/DIRT and DEEP SNOW/MUD settings in the X-MODE maximize all-wheel-drive performance for challenging weather or road conditions.
- A Harman Kardon surround-sound speaker system, the Cabin Connect microphone function, a 12-way power driver’s seat with lumbar support, and a four-way power front passenger seat are all part of a new optional package for the Onyx.
- A new 360-degree camera and the DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation System.
Trims, Price, and when will it be released?
This fall, Subaru dealerships will have the 2023 Subaru Ascent available in five trims: Base, Premium, Onyx Edition, Limited, and Touring. The base model has an eight-seat arrangement with a second-row bench seat, while the Onyx and Touring have standard second-row captain’s chairs with seating for up to seven, and the other trims have a choice between the two. The 2022 Ascent starts at $33,970 for the Base (all prices include destination fee), $39,670 for the Onyx Edition, and $47,120 for the Touring; pricing for the revamped model will be disclosed closer to its debut.
Looking for a used Subaru car near you? Click here.